Deploying a fiber system across the 1,070 miles of line in the Marion County portion of Sequachee Valley Electric Cooperative’s service area involves several moving parts. Here is an in-depth look at the construction process that explains the main steps taken during the build-out. As we work toward serving all Marion County members of SVEC, these processes are happening simultaneously across different areas of our system.
1. Design & Engineering- Before we can break ground on an area, we must first asses the system in place. Since we are utilizing Sequachee Valley Electric's infrastructure, it is important to determine the specific design needs of each area. Our team works closely with our fiber consultants during the design phase to confirm that all SVEC locations in Marion County are accounted for in the construction plans. You might also see the installation of a fiber hut at electrical substations.
2. Make Ready Construction- The design has been finalized and the plan is in place… What comes next? Make Ready Construction! Make Ready clears the way for main construction. During this process, crews work to replace poles and prepare the area for the fiber. Bonus: Make Ready is necessary for the fiber build-out, but it also strengthens the electric system! This benefits all members of Sequachee Valley Electric Cooperative.
3. Construction- During main construction, crews pull fiber following the electrical infrastructure of SVEC. These crews work as efficiently and as safely as they can to ensure SVEConnect service will be available to all SVEC members in Marion County.
4. Splicing- Splicing follows main construction and plays a pivotal role in the quality of your Fiber-To-The-Home service. The splicing process involves fusing two fibers together, which allows light to pass through the fibers without loss or reflection. After splicing then comes the testing of all fiber and splices to insure that everything is correct and meets SVEC’s specification. This will ensure that customers have the very best experience.
5. Design Area Opened – Now comes the good part: your area has been opened for connections! What happens now? SVEConnect customer service will begin calling all homes and businesses that have pre-registered for service to finalize orders and schedule installations. To expedite your connection, at any time during the construction process you can pre-register for service at sveconnect.com or by visiting the office at 512 S. Cedar Ave., South Pittsburg, TN. During pre-registration, you will select your speed and packages with no deposit, no installation fee or contract required. Pre-registration does not finalize your order, that is done after your area is opened for connections and customer service calls you to finalize and schedule your installation date.
6. Drop to the Home- After you have selected your install date, additional construction crews will be completing the full drop of fiber to your home. Drops will take place after splicing and testing have been completed, but before your installation date. These crews will be completing the final construction needed to light the way for the installation technicians.
7. Installation- Installation technicians will arrive at your service address on the date you scheduled with SVEConnect customer service. They will be prepared to install all equipment needed based on the packages you selected. Our install techs will also connect your devices to your internet service while they are at your location, so have those devices ready! If you have any questions, they will be happy to provide clarity on the process or functionality of the equipment. This appointment will take approximately two hours. It is required that you, or someone 18 years of age or older, are present for this appointment.
8. Enjoy your SVEConnect fiber optic service! Our customer service team and technical support will be ready to answer questions and help keep your service running smooth and fast after it’s installed.